Slovakia - Administration, Politics, Nationalities
- Name: Slovenska republika (The Slovak Republic)
- short name Slovensko (Slovakia)
- ISO 2-letters code: SK, 3-letters code: SVK
- Area: 49 036 sq. km (18 921 sq miles)
- Population:5 379 455 (26.5.2001)
- Population Density: 109 per sq. km
- Nationalities: Slovak 4 614 854 (85,8%), Czech 44 620 (0,8%), Hungarian 520 528 (9,7%), Romany 89 920 (1,7%), Ruthenian 24 201, Ukrainian 10 814
More: Results of Population and Housing Census 2011 at the site of the Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic
- Official Language: Slovak
- National flag: Click on the flag to see large picture.
- State emblem: Click on the emblem to see large picture.
- State seal: Click on the emblem to see large picture.
- National anthem: Nad Tatrou sa blyska: notation, lyrics, sound clip (WAV, RealAudio, Sun.au), CD Slovak National Athem and Solemn Choirs.
- Constitution of the Slovak Republic.
- Type of institution: Parliamentary democracy.
- Constitutional and legislative power: National Council of the SR - NR SR (Narodna rada Slovenskej republiky).
NR SR has one chamber with 150 members.
- Executive power: President, Government.
- Judiciary power: Constitutional court and courts.
- Administrative division: Eight self-governmental regions: Banska Bystrica, Bratislava, Kosice, Nitra, Presov, Trencin, Trnava, Zilina.
- Slovakia is a member of European Union since May 1, 2004 and a member of NATO since March 29, 2004.
Some important events
- Beginning 2014 we do not put more info into this section of the page. There is plenty of sources in English language on the Internet. See our media page.
- The election to the National Council of the Slovak Republic, March 10, 2012.
- The election to the National Council of the Slovak Republic, June 12, 2010.
- The election to local authorities of self-governing regions and the election of presidents of self-governing regions - 14th November 2009.
- The Election to the European Parliament, June 6, 2009.
- Result of the Presidential Election 2009.
- The election to the municipality self-government bodies 2006, December 2.
- Premature General Election on June 17, 2006.
- The election to the bodies of self-governing regions 2005.
- Slovak presidential race 2004 - April 3 - 17.
- The Slovak EU accession referendum - May 16 - 17, 2003. An official site of the Slovak Government.
- Municipal election, December 6 - 7, 2002 and The election to the National Council in 2002 - a list of political parties, polling numbers, results.
- Results of the election to the National Council in 1998.
- Results of the election to the National Council in 1994.
- News from Slovakia.
Books about the Slovak society, politics and economy.
Books about the Slovak history.
Published: August 24, 2003
Updated: March 9, 2014