Slovakia - Administration, Politics, Nationalities
- Name: Slovenska republika (The Slovak Republic)
- short name Slovensko (Slovakia)
- ISO 2-letters code: SK, 3-letters code: SVK
- Area: 49 036 sq. km (18 921 sq miles)
- Population:5 379 455 (26.5.2001)
- Population Density: 109 per sq. km
- Nationalities: Slovak 4 614 854 (85,8%), Czech 44 620 (0,8%), Hungarian 520 528 (9,7%), Romany 89 920 (1,7%), Ruthenian 24 201, Ukrainian 10 814
More: Results of Population and Housing Census 2011 at the site of the Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic
- Official Language: Slovak
- National flag: Click on the flag to see large picture.
- State emblem: Click on the emblem to see large picture.
- State seal: Click on the emblem to see large picture.
- National anthem: Nad Tatrou sa blyska: notation, lyrics, sound clip (WAV, RealAudio, Sun.au), CD Slovak National Athem and Solemn Choirs.
- Constitution of the Slovak Republic.
- Type of institution: Parliamentary democracy.
- Constitutional and legislative power: National Council of the SR - NR SR (Narodna rada Slovenskej republiky).
NR SR has one chamber with 150 members.
- Executive power: President, Government.
- Judiciary power: Constitutional court and courts.
- Administrative division: Eight self-governmental regions: Banska Bystrica, Bratislava, Kosice, Nitra, Presov, Trencin, Trnava, Zilina.
- Slovakia is a member of European Union since May 1, 2004 and a member of NATO since March 29, 2004.
After 2013 we do not update info into this section of the page. There is plenty of sources in English language on the Internet.
- Some important events
- The election to the National Council of the Slovak Republic, March 10, 2012.
- The election to the National Council of the Slovak Republic, June 12, 2010.
- The election to local authorities of self-governing regions and the election of presidents of self-governing regions - 14th November 2009.
- The Election to the European Parliament, June 6, 2009.
- Result of the Presidential Election 2009.
- The election to the municipality self-government bodies 2006, December 2.
- Premature General Election on June 17, 2006.
- The election to the bodies of self-governing regions 2005.
- Slovak presidential race 2004 - April 3 - 17.
- The Slovak EU accession referendum - May 16 - 17, 2003. An official site of the Slovak Government.
- Municipal election, December 6 - 7, 2002 and The election to the National Council in 2002 - a list of political parties, polling numbers, results.
- Results of the election to the National Council in 1998.
- Results of the election to the National Council in 1994.
- News from Slovakia.
Books about the Slovak society, politics and economy.
Books about the Slovak history.
Published: August 24, 2003
Updated: March 9, 2014