Panorama.sk in SlovakSK
Weather

Genealogy forum

The thread for message No. 1820. Subject: town of cermene. (Sent on 9 III 2006 17:52)

The Genealogy Forum is closed. We offer its archive from years 2002 - 2017. Use Google to search in the forum.

1820 - subject: town of cermene

9 III 2006 17:52, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Hi, Can anyone tell me where the town of cermene is located? Is it near Kosice? If so, how far is it? I am looking for the last name of plavecki.
This is my grandmother that came to america in 1920. She left behind a young son and her mother. Father wa

1822 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

9 III 2006 20:21, from: Zlatica
Patti
There is a village Cemerne which is part of town of Vranov nad Toplou and North-East of city of Kosice. www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
Surname PLAVECKY does list in SK's phone book but not in Cemerne.
www.zoznamst.sk
www.iabsi.com

1825 - subject: Re: town of cermene

10 III 2006 14:37, from: Mick
Patti, here exist two villages Cemerne in area of eastern Slovakia.
One of them is Cemerne which is part of Vranov and second one is village Puste Cemerne, situated some 7-8 miles east from Vranov.
Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arusm@yahoo.com

1827 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

11 III 2006 15:29, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Zlatica
thank you so much for posting a reply. I am planning a trip to visit slovakia and prague in the next few years and I am trying to find out as much info as I possible can. I will try some of the places you listed
Any other info would be greatly

1828 - subject: Re: town of cermene

11 III 2006 15:30, from: Patti pattip491@comcast.net
Mick,
thank you so much for posting a message.
Info is greatly appreciated
Patti

1829 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

11 III 2006 16:18, from: Zlatica
Your welcome Patti.
By any chance you have any old correspondence or old address? Would be good to establish a connection before your trip to SK. Just because the surname does not show up in Cemerne or Puste Cemerne does not mean that no family there. P

1830 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

12 III 2006 14:02, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Zlatica,
No, we have nothing. The only way we found out that we think it is cemerne is a friend of my uncles said that his mother came from the same town as my grandmother. All we have is that she was born between 1896 to 1898. She came over to ellis isl

1831 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

12 III 2006 16:19, from: Zlatica
Patti
Verona PLAVECKY arriving in 1920 thru EI is from Kamenica.
We have in Slovak Republic: Kamenica, Kamenica nad Cirochou, Kamenica nad Hrohom, Nizna Kamenica and Vysna Kamenica.
http://mapy.atlas.sk

1832 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

13 III 2006 19:14, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
I too found out that on the ellis island report. I thought maybe they were wrong.
Boy, now where do I go from here. There are so many Kamenica's
Thanks again
Patti

1833 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

13 III 2006 19:30, from: Zlatica
Patti
Was she naturalized citizen? Did she have social security numbers? Those would be few places to look for her precise place of birth. Might someone have her old passport?

1834 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

13 III 2006 22:38, from: Mick
Pati,
do you have some more information about her? I mean information about religion, names of her parents, siblings. Where from do you have information about village Cemerne close town Kosice? Who came from this village?
Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ aru

1835 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

13 III 2006 23:04, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Zlatica,
When she died, there were no records that she kept, no passport, old letters etc.
I went to the local court house and found her marriage certificate. This is where I found out that her father was deceased and mothers name is elizabeth (I think)

1836 - subject: Re: Plavecky

13 III 2006 23:18, from: Zlatica
Patti
Verona PLAVECKY has that she is single, going to uncle Andy FUNDAS in Hostetter, Pa; left a ? Erzebet (Elizabeth)Plavecky in Kamenica. Was there an uncle Fundas in the family? If she was not naturalized but lived pass 1940 than there is an Alie

1838 - subject: Re: Plavecky

14 III 2006 18:16, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Zlatica
You are a godsend. Yes, this is correct on that she went to hostetter, pa. The name Fundas is not familiar, but I think it was Farkas.
How did you find this all out?
No, I have not checked ssdi, but I certainly will.
Now, how do we find out wh

1839 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

14 III 2006 18:20, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Mick,
I am finding out (from this site) that cemerne does not seem to be the town she came from.
Another emailer, has found out that she came from Kamenica. I am not sure what Kamenica. I know there are several.
Her religion was catholic. Mothers name

1840 - subject: Re: Plavecky

14 III 2006 22:38, from: Zlatica
Patti
The information about uncle Fundas is on her "Ellis Island" manifest. Make sure you look at both pages of her manifest.
Would anyone in the family recall a word used like Zemplin, Saris, Spis? That would narrow down in which region we should l

1842 - subject: Re: Plavecky

15 III 2006 17:40, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Hi Zlatica,
My uncle is the only sibling living. He does not know anything about Kamenica
Also, he said she came to hostetter, pa and stayed with Pundai family. There was an Andy Pundai. I did get on ssdi and did not find anything new other than my gran

1844 - subject: Re: Plavecky

16 III 2006 4:37, from: Zlatica
Patti
It is possible that this Verona is not your ancestor. The 1930 census, does it say Na-naturalized or Al-alien? You need to locate either her naturalization petition or her G-639 Alien Registration Form. Have you located the church she married M

1845 - subject: Re: Plavecky

16 III 2006 5:10, from: patti palmer pattip491@comcast.net
Zlatica,
I am sure we have the right person, Verona. She went directly to hostetter, pa from New york (ellis island)My grandfather and her are listed in the 1930 census report along with their children.
She stayed with Pundai's and I found on their 1930

1846 - subject: Re: Plavecky

16 III 2006 5:40, from: Zlatica
Patti
She could have been naturalized with her husband. Do you know if he was naturalized? You would go to the courthouse that is in town or in the area. My grandfather lived in Duquesne, Pa and his naturalization was in Philadelphia's archive. My...

2286 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

5 VI 2007 1:35, from: nancy nsimonton1107@yahoo.com
I have recently found this website talking about Cemerne. I too have relatives from there. Mary Fenik and Andrew Fijalkovich, who were my grandparents. Mary Fenik had a sister who was married and her name was Susan Plavecky. Do you know any of these name

2401 - subject: Re: town of cermene

9 III 2008 15:22, from: john baca hasubaco99@comcast.net
I have Cemerne church documents of all births and
marriages from about 1818 to 1960

2402 - subject: Re: town of cermene

12 III 2008 2:49, from: John Miskanick
I can send information. I visted there last year. Post an e-mail and i will write you.

2403 - subject: Re: town of cermene

12 III 2008 2:51, from: John Miskanick
John Baca Very Intereted. All of my family is from there How can I get in touch with you?

2404 - subject: Re: town of cemerne

12 III 2008 2:54, from: John Miskanick
Patti --- I can send pitures and recommendations I just traveled to Kosice and Cemerne last summer. Let me know how I can contact you.

2479 - subject: Re: town of cermene

9 VIII 2008 23:26, from: Maryann Maryann_miller@verizon.net
John Baca,
How do I get in touch with you also? Both of my grandparents (John Hritz (Hricz or Hriczko)and Mary Sotak) are from Cemerne. I have found my grandfather's birth information (John Hricz - 1 June 1876) but cannot find anything about my grang

2682 - subject: Re: town of cermene

25 I 2010 0:43, from: mark plavecki plaveckim@yahoo.com
my name is mark plavecki maybe i can help

Start of Genealogy forum: >>