Panorama.sk in SlovakSK
Weather

Genealogy forum

The thread for message No. 1868. Subject: Borscs?. (Sent on 2 IV 2006 22:09)

The Genealogy Forum is closed. We offer its archive from years 2002 - 2017. Use Google to search in the forum.

1868 - subject: Borscs?

2 IV 2006 22:09, from: Sue James duzy_@hotmail.com
I'm looking for any information on my father's parents, Mary and Jozef Milko. Mary's maiden name is something like Borscs, Boris or Borscz. They came to the Pittsburgh area from Plechotice (Pelejte) around 1887. Jozef , I believe had a brother George .

1870 - subject: Re: Borcs

3 IV 2006 0:53, from: Zlatica
Sue
are you related to Ruth? She is a poster that posted with a surname MILKO / MILYKO and from Plechotice/Pelejte.
MILKO shows up in Plechotice's phone book.
www.zoznamst.sk
An ALL website for research in SK:
www.iabsi.com/gen/public
There wer

1872 - subject: Re: Bors'c'

3 IV 2006 20:42, from: Zlatica
Sue
area code 056, which would include Plechotice, is listing a surname BORS^C^ in Falkusovce, Trebisov, Backov and Zemplinske Hradiste. All of the towns are close to Plechotice.
www.zoznamst.sk
A first name translation website:
http://topolcsany

1873 - subject: Re: Borscs?

3 IV 2006 21:11, from: Mick
Milko is Rusyn nickname derived from name Michael. Do you know something more about religion of your ancestors?
Borsc is name for typical Russian soup.
Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arusm@yahoo.com

1874 - subject: Re: Borscs?

3 IV 2006 21:53, from: sue james duzy_@hotmail.com
They were Russian orthodox I believe. I have a document that has the name as Milyko, does that help? I have several papers with Mary's maiden name spelled several ways. They also changed the name from Milko to Milcoff sometime between 1900 and 1910. Than

1875 - subject: Re: Borscs?

4 IV 2006 0:24, from: Zlatica
Sue
Were you not notified about my 2 posts to your query?

1876 - subject: Re: Borscs?

4 IV 2006 9:02, from: Mick
Sue, Milyko is Hungarian form of Milko. As I said Milko is Rusyn nickname derived from Michael. I am sure that your ancestors were greek-catholics there in Plechotice. Borcs is name for very famous traditional Russian soup.
Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arus

1877 - subject: Re: Borscs?

4 IV 2006 13:15, from: sue james
Yes, thanks for the information. I'll have to see where to go from there. not sure. thanks!!.

1878 - subject: Re: Bors'c', Mil'ko

4 IV 2006 15:12, from: Zlatica
Your welcome.
Since you did not reply to my post, I presumed that you did not know about them.
Where do you want to go with the information?
You can request the church films and go thru them yourself looking for the ancestral information or you can hi

1880 - subject: Re: Borcs

5 IV 2006 20:55, from: sue james duzy_@hotmail.com
Thanks again. I have a LDS history ctr. near by. Thanks for more web cites. Also, Does the place Keresztur, Zemplin, Urgaria (spelling questionable) mean anything.? I have a "Militar - Pak" of grandad's brother Georg Milyko' Thanks!

1999 - subject: Re: Borscs?

7 VII 2006 5:05, from: Marianne Marianne50614@yahoo.com
I have Borscs among my ancestors, however they are from a village between Svidnik and Bardejov. If you think Mary (Maria?) Borscs might have originally come from that area, let me know approximately when she was born.
MARIANNE

2201 - subject: Re: Borscs?

19 II 2007 21:21, from: SUE ANN
I finally had time to get more information on my grandmother, Maria Milko. Her maiden name has been spelled various ways, Borscs is one spelling I found on an envelope from I believe a relative of hers. Her birday was March 27th, 1867. She was from Pele

2321 - subject: Re: Borscs?

15 VIII 2007 1:15, from: Bruce Milyko wizzard13@nerdshack.com
My Great Grandfather is George Andrew Milko (changed to Milyko after he emigrated to the USA) He was born about 1868 in Slovakia. I have his parents listed as Andrew Milko & Anna Tirpak. This might be another branch of the family

Start of Genealogy forum: >>