Panorama.sk in SlovakSK
Weather

Genealogy forum

The thread for message No. 1148. Subject: looking for Csutortok. (Sent on 29 XI 2004 19:41)

The Genealogy Forum is closed. We offer its archive from years 2002 - 2017. Use Google to search in the forum.

1148 - subject: looking for Csutortok

29 XI 2004 19:41, from: beverly bevinbloom@comcast.net
Am looking for location of the town called Csutortok. My grandparents emigrated from there in 1910. It appears on a 1910 map roughly east southeast of Bratislava. I am wondering if it still exists, if it has been erased by war and politics, or absorbed by

1151 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

29 XI 2004 20:01, from: Peter Nagy
Beverly,
The village still exists and has the Slovak official name "Stvrtok na Ostrove" As there live more than 20% of ethnic Hungarians, the alternative name is Csallóközcsütörtök.
I live in Samorin, what is about 10 km from Stvrtok na Ostrove
P

1152 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

30 XI 2004 0:06, from: Zlatica
Beverly
To locate a town in SK use : http://mapy.atlas.sk
The SK's phone site is at:
www.zoznamst.sk
www.rat.de/kuijsten/navigator

1153 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 0:34, from: Beverly bevinbloom@comcast.net
Thanks for the help, Z! I did find where it has slightly modified its name to Stvrtok na Ostrove, and is practically absorbed by Bratislava now. My next chore is to see if I can dig up g/parents birth/baptism records or a marriage record. Getting no help

1154 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 0:40, from: Beverly
Thank you so much for the Hungarian alternative! I recognize it from some of the historic maps I've located online. Your on-location confirmation is so very appreciated! I am coming to sing with a small choir in '05 to Vienna, Budapest, and Prague. With

1155 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 2:30, from: Zlatica
Your welcome, Beverly
I would not say that the town of Stvrtok na Ostrove was absorbed by the city of Bratislava. It has its own zip code and about 8.5 km from town of Zlate Klasy.
Another site (mapquest) to locate a town use :
www.jewishgen.org/Shtet

1156 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 4:04, from: Beverly
Thank you again! glad to know the town is not a casualty of urban sprawl. I will pursue the sites you gave me.I have the 1910 SS Cassel's passenger manifest leaving from Bremen. Their given names were JOSEF PETRIK and wife, MARIA PETRIK nee KOCHIS or KOCI

1157 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 4:23, from: Zlatica
Beverly
Those PETREKs that passed thru Ellis Island did go to Hubbard, OH.
In those old times there was a Csutortok, Detreko-Csutortok, Vag-Csutortok and Csutortokhely.
Csutortokhely is now Spissky Stvrtok. Spis region
Csutortok is now Stvrtok / T

1158 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 5:16, from: Beverly
Yes, I certainly can!! good grief, what a nightmare! Am typing up notes and may have an additional epiphany re: locations -- my humble thanks ;-)

1159 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 5:47, from: Zlatica
Your welcome.
If your ancestors had social security numbers or were naturalized citizen than those forms would have a precise (I hope)location.
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com
Detrekocsutortok in Pozsony megye in district Malaczkai
Csutortok in Pozsony m

1160 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 6:07, from: Zlatica
Beverly
By any chance SARISZKY or LESNYAK are related to your ancestors? Those are the two surnames that the Petreks on EI mentioned.
Surprisingly the surname S'ARIS'SKY and LESN'AK list in Spissky Stvrtok. Family went to family in those old days.

1162 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 8:19, from: Peter Nagy
Zlatica,
Thank you for correcting me, as I live near Stvrtok na Ostrove, I immediatelly responded without checking other Stvrtoks (=Thursday) in Slovakia. There as also many towns called Stredas (=Wednesday), Sobotas (=Saturday), etc. in Slovakia. I th

1165 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 16:39, from: Beverly
Peter, that's an interesting tidbit. Been working a bit on vocabulary and wondered why a town would be named "Thursday"! I was trying to attach religious significance to it. This is my mother's line I'm chasing and they are all deeply Catholic. My mother,

1166 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 17:11, from: Beverly
Interesting you should mention those names. My grandfather had to list a "friend" but I could not determine if it was in States or Hungary. That person was MARTIN LESNIAK. Understanding how names are modified (PETREK became "PATRICK" here in States betwee

1167 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 17:21, from: Zlatica
Beverly
Deeper into the forest, more trees.
The village of Dolyan is now Dolany in Spis region of Slovak Republic.
What you know,KOC'IS' lists in Dolany's phone book. www.zoznamst.sk
The village of Dolany is East of Spissky Stvrtok by a town of Le

1168 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 17:34, from: Zlatica
Beverly
I went to check on the EI manifest of Maria and Maria PETREK. Have no idea why there is Dolyan and Gorgo. Those are two different towns.
It should have been Dolyan, Szepes (megye) instead. Well I think so.
Well anyway, Dolyan is in Szepes

1169 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

1 XII 2004 18:57, from: Zlatica
Went back to Ellis Island to look for the Martin Lesniak you mentioned.
An Istvan LESCHNIAK was from Csutortokhely and going to Hubbard, OH
A Janos LESNAK was going to his brother Marton (Martin)living in Hubbard, OH
He has a set of numbers by his name

1225 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

30 XII 2004 0:38, from: Zlatica
Beverly
Just checking to see how your research is going. I have posted on Dec. 1 three more posts to your query.
www.slovczechvar.com
www.stargazerphotography.com
Two sites for enjoyment.

1230 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

30 XII 2004 1:25, from: Beverly
thanks for checking up on me! have gotten a bit sidetracked with extensive singing for Christmas holidays and family activities. I did a bit more digging as I said I would and found where, yes, grandfather came in Feb. 1910. What I then discovered was th

1232 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok

30 XII 2004 1:37, from: Zlatica
Beverly
Thanks your getting back to me. Just wanted you to read my other three posts so you would not be going on a wild goose chase. You did mention a Dolyan which is now Dolany in the Spis region.
Happy New Year.

2908 - subject: Re: looking for Csutortok - Petrek and Kociss fam

12 III 2016 0:50, from: Janice janicec328@gmail.com
Beverly,
This is many years later, but I also have family that are Petrek as well as Kocsiss.
My Petrek family immigrated into Ohio and Indiana. Have been looking for a Joseph.
Valentine Petrek (1863) born in Dolyan Slovakia, a brother of my G

Start of Genealogy forum: >>